What to Expect
Lactation consultation services are provided by our Certified Lactation Consultant and Lactation Counselors on staff.
Here at YVMC's Family Birth Place we practice the "Colorado Can Do 5!" These five hospital practices have been shown to significantly increase breastfeeding duration among Colorado women:
- Infants are breastfed in the first hour after birth
- Infants stay in the same room as their mothers
- Infants are fed only breast milk and receive no supplementation
- No pacifier is used
- Staff gives mothers a telephone number to call for help with breastfeeding
These five practices are done routinely unless parents request otherwise, or medically necessary treatment takes precedence. In August 2013, YVMC received an award for its breastfeeding practices and policies. To read more, click here
All registered nurses in our department receive training and ongoing education in assisting and supporting mothers to breastfeed.
Lactation services include:
- Free weekly lactation consults, Wednesdays 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. by appointment
- One-on-one lacatation consulting
- Breastfeeding a special needs newborn
- Initiating and maintaining lactation when separated from your newborn
- Providing information, education and resources for breast milk pumping
- The "When, Why and How to Breastfeed" classes are offered approximately every eight weeks and is free of charge. For more information visit the YVMC Event Calendar or call 871-2412
Make An Appointment
To schedule an appointment with the Lactation Consultant please call 875-2662 or for more urgent questions or concerns, please call the Family Birth Place at 871-2412.